Because I'm experienced, reliable, and focused on results, I've had the privilege of working with a host of fantastic clients.
"HI SARA, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PLAN, WE ARE DELIGHTED WITH IT"
Welcome to GardenPlans.info
Hi! I’m Sara Whelan and I love designing gardens.
I have a science university degree, a teaching diploma and a Diploma in Garden Design.
I offer you a personal garden design service by email or post, so you can save money on a professional garden design, tailored to your requirements.
I can provide advice, designs and planting plans for any size of space, from a single border to a full-size garden.
I work closely with you so you have something that suits YOUR budget, YOUR wishes and YOUR taste.
To find out how, and to get an idea of costs, scroll down!
How it Works
- You send me photos and a rough Sketch Plan of the site, with measurements. I can send you a guide to help you: How to Measure and Sketch your Site.
- You complete a Garden Design Form, which I will send you, to tell me in detail what you are looking for in the design, and what type and number of plan(s) you require.
- When you have returned the completed Sketch Plan and Garden Design Form, I will send you a Proposal which will outline the services to be provided and the fees to be paid.
- When the first instalment of the fee has been paid, I will send you a Base Plan of the existing site. This is the minimum service I offer, and the cost is based on the size of the garden area. You will receive a drawing to scale (for example, 10 cm on the plan equals 1 metre in the garden) of your garden as it is now. You can then print or copy it at home and use it for your own planning, planting or record-keeping.
- If you need more ideas or inspiration, order a Concept Plan, which is a sketch, on the Base Plan, of where you might best place certain features or plants. You can order any number of these so that you can compare them, and then choose which option you want. Use your chosen Concept Plan to work out the new design for your garden yourself, or go on to the next level of planning.
- If you want more help, order a Layout Plan. This is a measured and scaled plan of the concept option you have chosen, showing all the elements, materials, and general types of planting. You can use this to develop your garden and install a new design, over a year or longer.
- If you intend to ask a builder or landscape gardener to install the design, you will need to order a Working Plan, to brief your contractor more precisely.
- You can also order a Planting Plan, showing plant names, flowering times, sizes and how many of each are needed. You can use this plan to purchase exactly the type of plants you want. Planting plans can be ordered for a single border up to a full garden, but a Base Plan must be ordered first.
- Finally, I can offer a Maintenance Plan to assist in garden upkeep. This can be ordered with any Layout, Working or Planting Plan, and will provide you with a list of seasonal tasks that would be required to maintain the garden design into the future. You can use this as a guide for yourself or to brief a gardener to do it for you.
Plans and Costs
1. Base Plan
A Base Plan will give you a drawing to scale (for example, 10 cm on the plan would equal 1 metre in the garden) of your existing garden area which you can then print and use for your own planning.
Minimum Fee is a Base plan for a garden area up to 100 square metres, € 75
Base plan, 100-250 square metres € 100
Base plan, 250-500 square metres € 150
Base plan, 500-1000 square metres € 200
Base plan, 1000-2000 square metres (up to .5 acre approx.) € 250
Base plan, 2000-4000 square metres (up to 1 acre approx.) € 300
2. Concept Plan
A Concept Plan will give you suggestions as to where elements of your garden could be placed. You must have purchased a Base Plan first. You can order any number of Concept Plans, so that you can compare them, and then choose which option you want to develop. This type of plan is not to scale.
One Concept plan € 40
Two Concept plans € 50
Three Concept plans € 60
3. Layout Plan
A Layout Plan is a detailed plan of the concept option you have chosen, showing all the elements, materials, and types of planting you have asked for. This plan will be to scale, so that you can easily set out the plants and other features you want in your garden.
Layout plan for a garden of up to 100 square metres € 300
Layout plan, 100-250 square metres € 400
Layout plan, 250-500 square metres. € 500
Layout plan, 500-1000 square metres. € 600
Layout plan, 1000-2000 square metres (up to .5 acre approx.) € 700
Layout plan, 2000-4000 square metres (up to 1 acre approx.) € 800
4. Working Plan
A Working Plan is a plan to scale, with full details of materials, plants, dimensions and construction, for you to obtain quotes and orders from suppliers and contractors. This plan can include details of lighting and water features.
Working Plan € 25 per hour, maximum agreed in advance
5. Planting Plan
A Planting Plan shows exactly which plants go where, what size they should be and how many are needed. I can provide Planting Plans without a layout plan, for one or two beds, for example. A Planting Plan can be used to obtain quotes from a garden centre or gardener.
Planting plans € 10 per square metre of planting area plus € 50
6. Maintenance Plan
A Maintenance Plan can be ordered with any Layout, Working or Planting Plan, and will provide you with the seasonal tasks required to maintain the garden design into the future. You can use this as a guide for yourself or to brief a gardener to do it for you.
Maintenance plan €50
A site visit can be arranged, however there is a € 50 charge for this service.
Plans will be supplied by email, in PDF format. You can print them out as many times as you like, in colour or black&white, and either in A4 or A3 size, depending on the printer you use. If you prefer to receive the plans by post, printing and delivery charges may apply.
Before sending payment, I will send you a Proposal, listing the plans you have requested, and the total Fee, together with the Terms and Conditions. These are to protect you as well as me, so please read them before you send me any money. Payment is by Paypal with a deposit in advance of work being done. Fees may be payable in instalments in accordance with the payment schedule as set out in the Proposal.